The Renwick Ruin on Manhattan’s Roosevelt Island, also known as the Smallpox Hospital, is located on the southern tip of the island, which was called Blackwell’s Island when the structure was built between 1854 and 1856.
A Merrell Class vessel Verrazzano that connected the borough of Staten Island to Manhattan sits in a scrap metal yard on the western shore of Staten Island. Retired several years ago, this boat has been stripped down to its metal frame. Cold and eerie, the boat’s decks are badly deteriorated from neglect and by the elements.
Michigan Central Station (also known as Michigan Central Depot or MCS), built in mid-1912 through 1913 for the Michigan Central Railroad, was Detroit, Michigan’s passenger rail depot from its opening in 1913 after the previous Michigan Central Station burned, until the cessation of Amtrak service on Jan. 6, 1988.
At the time of its construction, it was the tallest rail station in the world.
The building is located in the Corktown district of Detroit near the Ambassador Bridge approximately 3⁄4-mile (1.2 km) southwest of downtown Detroit. It is located behind Roosevelt Park, and the Roosevelt Warehouse is adjacent to the east.
The city’s Roosevelt Park serves as a grand entry way to the station. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Restoration projects and plans have gone as far as the negotiation process, but none has come to fruition. In 2011 work began to remove glass and asbestos from the thousands of window frames in the station.
To date, the first floor windows have been fully abated. Work continues, though at a slow pace. Access inside is impossible unless you are willing to trespass and climb over fences with barb wire.
Photos taken June 6, 2011 using a Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR with a EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens.