A Merrell Class vessel Verrazzano that connected the borough of Staten Island to Manhattan sits in a scrap metal yard on the western shore of Staten Island. Retired several years ago, this boat has been stripped down to its metal frame. Cold and eerie, the boat’s decks are badly deteriorated from neglect and by the elements.
This Greek Revival style church was erected in 1844 to the designs of Staten Island builder James G. Burger and was enlarged in 1898 with a Colonial Revival Sunday School addition designed by architect Oscar S. Teale. The church’s congregation is the oldest in Staten Island and its first church building was erected on this site in 1715.