Tiger Stadium, previously known as Navin Field and Briggs Stadium, was a baseball park located in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan. It hosted the Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball from 1912 to 1999, as well as the Detroit Lions of the National Football League from 1938 to 1974.
On April 20, 1912 the Detroit Tigers played their first game at their new ballpark, named Navin Field after the club’s owner, Frank Navin.
In 1935, following Navin’s death, new owner Walter Briggs oversaw the expansion of Navin Field to a capacity of 36,000 by extending the upper deck to the foul poles and across right field
By 1938, the city had agreed to move Cherry Street, allowing left field to be double-decked and the now-renamed Briggs Stadium had a capacity of 53,000. In 1961, new owner John Fetzer took control of the stadium and gave it its final and longest-lasting name: Tiger Stadium.
It was declared a State of Michigan Historic Site in 1975 and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1989. The stadium was nicknamed “The Corner” for its location on Michigan Avenue and Trumbull Avenue.
The last Tigers game at the stadium was held on September 27, 1999. In the decade after the Tigers vacated the stadium, several rejected redevelopment and preservation efforts finally gave way to demolition.
The stadium’s demolition was completed on September 21, 2009, though the stadium’s actual playing field remains at the corner where the stadium stood.
In 2018, the site was redeveloped for youth sports.
A peek through the fence along Trumbull Avenue at an empty lot where Tiger Stadium once stood on June 30, 2011 in Detroit Michigan. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
Tiger Stadium’s 125-foot tall flagpole in fair play, to the left of dead center field near the 440-foot mark. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
A view down Trumbull Avenue where Tiger Stadium once stood on June 30, 2011 in Detroit Michigan. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
Ty Cobb, Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer and Al Kaline are some of the Hall of Famers who called Tiger Stadium home. Many establishments from the Tiger Stadium days are still operating despite the absence of a ballpark. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
The empty field where many great moments occurred where Tiger Stadium stood. In the distance you can see Michigan Central Depot. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
The flagpole was to be brought to Comerica Park, but this never happened. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
The intersection of Michigan and Cochrane where Tiger Stadium offices once stood in 2011. Now it’s home of the Detroit Police Athletic League. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
A view from Cochrane St. where the left field stands once stood at Tiger Stadium. (Photo: Gordon Donovan)
Photos taken June 30, 2011 using a Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR with a EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens.